Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving isn't quite the same in the UK, when you have to go to work all day, there's no football on TV and most of the locals have only heard of the holiday because they watched it on 'Friends.' In some ways it was nice though because since so many grad students are away from their families they come together in bigger groups. I actually went to two Thanksgivings this year. The first was on Sunday and had about 50 other Gates scholars.
The second was on Thanksgiving itself and was an all-vegetarian affair hosted by my good friends Stella and Talia at their place. That big mound in the middle is a tofurkey, though it was actually fashioned as a tofurtle:

In the end, Thanksgiving is about being close to people you care about, and though I miss my real family I was still realizing I had a lot to be thankful for.

No comments: