Friday, May 15, 2009

Churchill Conference on Everything

Every year the Churchill MCR (grad students group) puts on a "Conference on Everything" for students to demo their work. I was fortunate to be selected to speak and I gave a talk entitled "Internet Censorship and Resistance." It was fun and rewarding because I think this is a major human rights issue that gets ignored because it has the word "Internet" so people don't think it's serious. I tried to make a case that free access to information is crucial in a free society and the Internet is increasingly the only forum that matters. I think the talk went well, I got a good response and many questions afterwards. Other talks were fascinating too, on everything from flying robots to mathematics education. Made me appreciate being at a university which is strong in many areas.

No comments: